Monday, December 18, 2006

open way



I just started a book called "River Horse" by William Least Heat-Moon where he's taking a boat journey, and the boat is adorned with two inscriptions. One is "proceed as the way opens," and the other is "avoid irritation." The first is a Quaker proverb and the second is from Heart of Darkness. My response to reading them is that they are both easy to do when you're out on the water, but more of a challenge if you apply them to land-life.

I should acknowledge that the picture above doesn't exactly show someone proceeding as the way opens, mainly because I can't steer and take pictures at the same time. I mention this to try and avoid the irritation of corrective comments.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Avoid Irritation.

1 comment:

jennifer black said...

Cool photo!