Wednesday, June 20, 2007

axioms

"A watched pot never boils," is how the saying goes. This afternoon I put that to the test. Of course, I gave up watching eventually because it's so painfully boring, but I do believe that an empirical study of the claim would yield it a clear falsehood. Therefore, I submit that the saying be changed to the following:

"Waiting for water to boil is time misspent, unless you're into that kind of thing, in which case 'whatever floats your boat,' figuratively speaking. Such activity may also be considered fruitful in the service of scientific inquiry."

My water did eventually boil, and here's a little of what came as a result:


It's tortellini, by the way, and despite appearances, worth waiting for the water to boil.

1 comment:

RhetorRick said...

Isn't that the truth? If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: a job well done is worth waiting for. Besides, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! Of course, that's like the pot calling the kettle "black" (apologies to Jennifer) even though I'm not one to jump from the frying pan into the fire. In your case, too many cooks did NOT spoil the tortellini because you understand that there can be too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Keep up the good work!