Tuesday, January 08, 2008

inca doves

My bird book describes these doves like this: "Inca Doves are characterized by their acute paranoia, which manifests itself by the appearance of ingratitude. You give them copious amounts of food out of pure altruism, and they gorge on it like an entitlement fallen from Heaven; then, upon catching the slightest glimpse of you, they scatter, distrusting you to the core despite everything you've done for them. Perhaps they flatter themselves into believing you want to eat them, even though they are half the size of the juicier and slower moving Mourning Dove. Besides scavenging for handouts, their hobbies also include reproduction and excretion."






4 comments:

RhetorRick said...

Hmm. You could almost replace the words "Inca Dove" with "children" and it would work about the same.

jennifer black said...

Actually, I was thinking of substituting "students."

Phil Poulter said...

The funny thing is, this morning one landed about a foot from me. We stared at each other a moment, then I said "hey dove." It freaked out, causing me to do likewise.

Sam said...

I had no idea that bird books had such "attitude." Cool.