Saturday, March 29, 2008

cue dragnet theme


Since I've lived in this house I've gotten several legal notices that have appeared to show varying degrees of seriousness addressed to someone who doesn't live here. One time the County Constable came by looking for him. His name doesn't show any relation to the previous owners, so I know they're not looking for them. I figure it's probably someone who provided a false address and is essentially living on the lam. Of course, the previous owners may have harbored a fugitive, or he could be holed up in the dilapidated shed out back (posing convincingly as a raccoon).

I'm always tempted to open his mail to investigate further since it presents such a mystery. Still, I'm sure if I ever found out why they're after the guy it will be a let down. After all, if it were a truly glamorous or scandalous crime, they would have kicked in my front door by now. So I picture a guy who wrote some hot checks or neglected his childcare payments living in relative and parasitic anonymity in some friend's apartment. But if they ever haul me off and force me to prove I'm not him, I'm going to hope it's for something positively gangster.

No comments: